Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On Antibacterial Soaps: Safeguard vs Vaseline 2-in-1 Soap

There are different brands of antibacterial soaps nowadays and in the Philippines, the leading brand so far is Safeguard. It is available in different colors and scents, and the reason for the variance is perhaps to match the personal preference of every consumer or user. Then came Vaseline 2-in-1 Skin Soap, which comes in different variants and colors as well, but this time, Vaseline claims that its antibacterial soap performs better than its competition because it can kill more germs, especially the ones that can cause diarrhea and pneumonia. Vaseline calls its soap “2-in-1” because apart from getting rid of the germs, it also nourishes your skin, leaving it feeling clean and moisturized after use.


"Ang Vaseline ay mayroong 100% soap - walang gawgaw o tapioca starch!"
("Vaseline contains 100% soap - no cornstarch or tapioca starch!")


Vaseline's antibacterial soap line comes in liquid soap form and the typical bar foam. Safeguard used to have a body wash variant in the Philippines, but it was phased out for some unknown reason after being in the market for only a few months. So, between Vaseline 2-in-1 Soap and Safeguard, which one is better?

What's that starchy feeling after using Safeguard?

When Vaseline 2-in-1 soap was first introduced to the Philippine market, one of its earlier TV commercials depicted someone bathing with a competing soap. It is easy to assume that it is Safeguard, and it said that it had gawgaw or starch. I have been using Safeguard since I was a child because it was the commonly-used antibacterial soap in my household, and lately, I have been noticing that each time I'm washing my hands with it, my skin feels so dry and there's this powdery substance on my palms. I thought I simply failed to rinse the soap properly, but it keeps happening every time I wash my hands with Safeguard. So, what happened? Is Safeguard really being manufactured nowadays with starch?

So, one day, I decided to try Vaseline 2-in-1 soap. I bought its Healthy White variant from SM Hypermart at SM North EDSA, used it as soon as I got home, and was happy with the results. The scent was not overwhelming and my skin did not feel dry and there was no powdery residue on my palms a few minutes after drying them.

The other night, I had to replace the Safeguard soap which is used for washing hands with my bathroom sink. I realized I still had another Safeguard white soap in stock, so I decided to use it. It is one of the latest stocks related to the raffle promo where you can win a million pesos or freebies from Jollibee. While opening the package, my focus drifted to the list of ingredients, particularly to the words Tapioca Starch.


Can you find Tapioca Starch?


There you go.


Perhaps it's the one causing the powdery feel on my palms.

Which one lasts longer?

I remember the Safeguard TV commercials in the late 80s and in the early 90s. Those TV commercials demonstrate that Safeguard lasts longer even with frequent use, compared to its competitor back then, Lifebuoy. I can say that Safeguard does last longer. In fact, it can last for months if you are using it as a hand soap and not as a bath soap, and when I compared Safeguard with Vaseline 2-in-1 soap, it still wins when it comes to longevity.

I choose Vaseline 2-in-1 Skin Soap

Safeguard commercials and print ads claim that experts (i.e. Doctors, surgeons, and other medical practitioners) still prefer Safeguard, so it is easy for the public to think that it is the best antibacterial soap in the market. However, its manufacturer may have to check on the tapioca starch or any other ingredient which is causing that powdery and dry feeling on the skin of some users.

Because of that powdery and dry feeling that Safeguard leaves on my skin, I currently prefer Vaseline 2-in-1 skin soap because it does leave my skin feeling clean and moisturized.


Vaseline 2-in-1 Skin Soap's ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment