Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Quick Unboxing Of Kotobukiya Steins;Gate 1/8 Kurisu Makise

Kurisu Makise is the main female protagonist of the visual novel/anime Steins;Gate. She has a few scale figures, and this one by Kotobukiya is among them.  This figure was on my wishlist for a year until I finally got her on December 2013 with the help of a friend who purchased it from another fellow figure collector friend who sold it at a very attractive price.


Yet another obligatory picture of the figure while it's still in  the box

This Kotobukiya Steins;Gate 1/8 Kusiru Makise is a second-hand figure. After inspection, I found that she's still in very good condition without any stains or dirt on her. However, the largest gear has a broken peg, yet it's hardly noticeable and it wasn't obvious once I assembled everything.

The figure was based on an illustration by Ryohei Fuke (a.k.a. "Huke"), who's mostly known for his Steins;Gate and Black Rock Shooter artworks and designs, and then it was sculpted by M.I.C. Kotobukiya packaged her in a box that is rather tall with a grungy design and with windows on the sides so you can take a peek at what's inside:


Back, right, and left sides of the box
Top of the box (excuse Gilgamesh, haha)
The blister is capable of standing by itself when I took it out:




You can also see the illustration inside the box. That's Kurisu with Mayuri Shiina and Rintaro Okabe. That illustration was also used as the cover on the packaging of the Steins;Gate game, which was initially released for XBox 360 in 2009.



Kotobukiya gave her a clear base that is anything but plain. It resembles the gears you'd find in a clock:


A fitting base for a character from a series that deals with time travel
A peg is already attached under Kurisu's right foot, and it easily slips but holds steadily into the slot of the clear base. Nope, she won't topple over because it's well-designed.

If there's one thing I found a bit difficult about setting up this figure, it's the gears. Luckily, the figure came with instructions:


It's not rocket science

You don't need to be able to read Japanese, but I think you need to have a keen eye for details to understand what's written and being described there. Each part has numbers on them, but they're very small and might be difficult to see under insufficient lighting, so be sure you have enough light when you're assembling the gears. (And if you have poor eyesight, wear your spectacles or get a magnifying glass. :p)

If you examine the figure closely, you can find a few holes on her legs and jacket. The gears have pegs to attach to those holes. I was careful in putting the gears together and attaching them to the figure because I was afraid they'd snap. I think it took me around five to seven minutes to complete the assembly of the gears.

After the set-up, you can now ogle the eye candy in front of you:


Tadaaa! And it's done (again, please excuse Gilgamesh X'D)
The details of this Kotobukiya Kurisu Makise figure are amazing. Her red mobile phone is attached to one of the gears on her leg.




Right after unboxing her, she immediately got her first photoshoot. :p Here are some of the pictures: 















I also uploaded the entire set of pictures on my Flickr account. You can check them out here.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have the patience to assemble her gears :/
    One of the pegs for the gears can be attached to a slot in her leg (I think, unless I'm imagining things). Also, when I got her, I did not notice the artwork inside the box haha. Guess I was excited to show you the inspection pics :D
    I know someday Beach Queen Kurisu will grace your blog. Heeeh.
    --Anonymous Nami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't notice the artwork inside the box, too. I only noticed when I was looking for the instructions on how to assemble the gears. XD
      I'm looking forward to the day when I can have Beach Queens Kurisu :3

      Delete