Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Good Smile Company Nendoroid Saber Zero version


This is one of my most anticipated Nendoroids in 2012 because I absolutely loved Saber in Fate/Zero. When pre-orders for this figure was announced, I immediately jumped at the opportunity. She finally arrived this year and I got her last Saturday, January 19.

Here's what you can expect inside the box:

 The black plastic contains the other base, which looks like a road with tracks.

Close-up of what's inside

Not much oomph factor on the faceplates, but I have other Saber Nendoroids here (plus the faceplates of my other Nendoroids) whose faceplates I can use to make Saber Zero look a bit less serious.

Let's move on the figure itself:


You might have noticed that the pony tail has its own slot in the plastic. It's detachable, just like Max Factory figma Saber Zero ver. However, unlike the figma version, the ponytail is more likely to remain in its proper place even if you move it sideways. Yes, I've experienced figma Saber Zero's ponytail falling out of its place a couple of times just because I accidentally slightly brushed a finger or a hand against it.

Here's the figure in its cute glory:



Now let's check out the other base:

I discovered that this figure may come with different bases, as I've seen in the comments here. Apart from this road base, you may get a grass/dirt road or a wood base. Apparently, Nendoroids released from December 2012 to January 2013 are packaged with a second base. Luckily, I got the road base because I think a wood base would look awkward with the motored cuirassier on it. The dirtroad base sounds interesting, though.

Here's Saber and her motored cuirassier standing on the road base:



The bike can stand on itself without any support, as long as the surface is solid, and Saber can confidently sit on it without wobbling. Just be sure that everything is settled on a flat, solid surface so Saber and her bike won't wobble and topple over. I transferred her over to the desk where some of my figures are while she's sitting on her bike on the base, and when I settled her on the desk, she topped over and I heard a muffled "thud". I'm always afraid of Nendoroids falling on hard surfaces because the neck joint might break just like what happened with one of the faceplates of my Nendoroid Saber Super Movable Edition. Luckily, nothing broke.

Here she is with my Good Smile Company 1/8 Saber and Saber Motored Cuirassier:




Saber Zero with my favorite faceplate from Nendoroid Saber Super Movable 10th Anniversary Edition
There's just one issue I encountered on this Nendoroid: I had a difficult time attaching the bent arms. I had to carefully twist them around as if I'm removing the nuts from a car's tire until the pegs on the arms were completely inserted into the torso. Other than that, the entire figure is fun to play with and easy to assemble. I didn't have a difficult time making her hold the bike's handle and Excalibur. No issues with paint transfer, too.

2 comments:

  1. hello! I’d like to know if other Nendoroids can also sit on Saber's motorbike? Have you tried it? I’m planning to buy a Saber Zero too. Hope you can reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Emily. :)
      I haven't tried that yet because I only have a few other Nendoroids with an extra body or pair of legs for sitting. But I think as long as the legs can spread apart or the stand is still attached behind the Nendoroid that you want to sit on the motorbike, then the figure and the motorbike won't topple over.

      Alternatively, you can consider using Saber Zero's body and just attach another Nendoroid's head on to it, (examples: http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/757260&ref=item%3A106981 and http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/603019&ref=item%3A106981)
      Nendoroid Saber Zero comes with hands that are designed to grip the bike, and I think they help her stay in place, too.

      Delete